Saturday, April 27, 2013

Almost Watchless: A Tale of a PB

I received a challenge this past week: run my next race sans watch, and instead only focus on running the whole thing as hard as I can. The theory is that my race strategizing - in other words, how fast I think I should be able to run - is slowing me down. I admit, for my next 5k I had a plan: run the first 3k at a 5-min pace, then pick it up as much as I can the last 2k to finish with a sub-25min (my goal was to get around the 24.50 mark).
But I couldn't not accept this challenge, especially since I was so curious as to how it would turn out.
I rejoined New Farm Park Run, because it's flat and I like the course. The start was narrow but the volunteers facilitated this as much as they could by having sub-start groups. I wormed my way into the sub-25 running group, feeling a bit like a pinball as I bounced around my fellow runners politely jockeying for a good position.
I had decided to run this event sans watch, but in the end I just couldn't do it. The thought of finishing my race and not knowing how I did for hours (when the results were emailed out) was just too much. So I just made sure that my watch screen was set in such a way that even if I did look at it, I wouldn't see how I was going.
Off we went! I had made it my goal to run past "comfortable" and into "uncomfortable" for the duration of the race to see how I went. I know that this made my first km waaaaay too quickly, which I suffered for as my breathing soon caught up with me.
So I settled into a pace that pushed myself but that I felt was maintainable for the next 4k.
At the 3k mark I was dying. There was a little bit of a headwind that I would have rather had on the way out than the way back. Plus, I normally plot my race strategy as I go, but without the data I normally use I didn't know what to think about! How could I keep pushing myself hard but take my mind off the discomfort of doing so? The not knowing was frustrating. Should I be picking it up more? Could I pick it up more? Was I going to make it with a pb???
I tried mantra'ing to myself. But that got old really fast.
So I started singing "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" to myself. I had gotten to 92 when I remembered one of my coaches instructing me on singing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" to control my breathing.
Alright, Mary. You and me, let's go!
At the same time, I also tried to focus a bit on my form. Not so much to correct it (I was racing, after all!) but I wanted to increase my awareness of how my running technique is during a race. Head up, back straight... arms moving across the body wildly and shoulders too engaged. Check, check, check, and double check!
At about 1k to go I accidentally sneaked a peek at my watch - habit. It was more of a am I sure this race isn't over yet when will this pain end disbelieving sort of look than a time-checking look. Luckily I had pre-empted the strike by changing screens at the start, to avoid accidentally seeing my time. But despite this, I still felt strongly I wasn't going to make my sub-25min goal.  I was deflated. After going so hard I wasn't going to make it! I saw all these fit young runners - and old runners - breeze past me, I was very demoralized. I felt slow and unfit. How could everyone else make it look so easy when I had been struggling almost every step of the way?
But then I decided that - as much as I wanted to - I couldn't quit now when I was so close to the finish! At the very least, I wanted to get in the ball-park range of my last pb (25.23). And who knows, maybe I would finish in 25.22 or something. How could I slow down if it would make the difference of a new pb or not?
Around the corner, to the finish line, stop the watch...

24.40min
What??? Had I just nailed a new pb by nearly 45seconds? Did I just run 9seconds faster per km than any other 5k I've done??? 
Apparently, yes. Woohoo! Mission accomplished. And hey, I even got a Top 10 finish for my category. Success! Special thanks to my coach for setting me this challenge, and for Mary and her little lambs.

4 comments:

  1. Great race description. Had me on the edge of my seat as to how it would turn out. You go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom! Always nice to know my blog is enjoyed. :)

      Delete
  2. Your coach's plan of running without using your watch reminded me of Luke Skywalker of Star Wars fame. Yoda told him to close his eyes and feel the force, trust in it and that is what you did, you "closed your watch" and trusted your body to race the way it was meant to. WT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very good analogy! I know some runners who never look at their watches to gage time in a race. I am not one of them, but maybe I should be.

      Delete