Sunday, July 31, 2011

10k race - Ipswich Park to Park

Climb every mountain! Conquer every hill! It certainly felt like we did THAT in the 10k race today. But, may I say.... aaaaaah! 10k! After two half marathon races in a row, a 10k felt so refreshing and short!
8am start, we did two 5k loops around some parks in Ipswich. Thank goodness I didn't do the half marathon, which was 4 loops. I think I'd lose count of how many laps I'd done. Honestly, it's easy to do when you're running as you're not focussed on the numbers.
Big question: how did I do? To give an idea, my personal best (pb) in a 10k remains with the first one I ran at Doomben in June, 2009 with a time of 54.18. With all the encouraging advice I heard before the race ("this is one of the hilliest races in Australia" and "you can't compare this race to a pb from other courses because it's way too tough.") I was hoping to finish at around 1hr20min.
Lap one: 29.30
Lap two: 1.01.05
Siiigh! Just missed that sub-one hour mark. But at the same time, wow! The most recent 10k I ran (last year, around September/October) I got 58min. And that course was FLAT.
Could it be that this slow runner is getting faster?
Makes me want to run a flat 10k to see if I can kill my current pb.

No comments:

Post a Comment